Image 1 of 1

091217CMC_Soviet-01.jpg

Commemorative wreaths lying in a tomb at the Soviet cemetery and war memorial in Schoenholzer Heide in former East Berlin. The site was used as a forced labour camp by the Germans during World War II but transformed by the Soviets into the final resting place for around half of the 22,000 Red Army personnel killed during the battle for berlin in 1945. Today, much of the site lies dilapidated and the victim of casual vandalism and decay.
twitterlinkedinfacebook